There are facts and then there is the story that we create about the facts. Facebook Live Replay.
Facts don’t hurt.
It’s the stories we tell ourselves about the facts that create the pain. Our brain has a negative bias… it will naturally go to the gloom and doom story, the one with drama.
- Fact: He is late
- Story: He is late because he doesn’t care about me or respect my time. I can’t take it anymore!
- Fact: Boss said words
- Story: Boss doesn’t appreciate anything I do, he’s always on my case and never recognizes me. I am not dealing with this anymore!
- Fact: Husband says words
- Story: He is always mad at me, takes his bad day out on me, doesn’t love me. I am done!
- Fact: scale says I weigh 180
- Story: I have no willpower, I will never hit my weight goal, it’s too hard to lose weight around my familyI might as well give up!
Facts are boring, stories are compelling.
We are all living lives that we have created with our thoughts. So, if you are not excited about an area of your life, my question is, what’s the story you have created?
I have had stories for things that have happened in my life almost all of my life. It’s human nature to create stories. When it becomes an issue is when we start living at the effect of the stories we tell ourselves.
- We create stories that we are not good with money or with time.
- We create stories that we can’t lose weight and keep it off.
- We create stories that people are disrespectful and toxic.
- We create stories that we are victims.
- We create stories that we have no will power or discipline. We create stories that we are too busy and overwhelmed.
- We create stories that make us feel that we have been taken advantage of and betrayed and cheated.
Our thoughts are our stories but that does not make any of it true!
Does that story even serve you? If it does, how? What is the upside to the story. If it works for you then keep it, if not, let’s get to work on it.
You can’t manage boss, husband, neighbor, dry cleaning lady etc…you can only manage the thoughts in your head, the sentences that you join together and the story that you create.
You can take responsibility and ownership of the story, you can decide how you want to feel about the circumstance and show up from a space of emotional adulthood.
Ask yourself this…
If you did not have the story, who would you be? Who could you be without the story?
We have the option of having a thought and keeping it neutral or making it mean something. We don’t have to add drama to the thought with a story.
The story that you tell about your life, your relationships, your circumstances, become what you invite and create and attract more of.
Your story about the circumstance is creating your reality.
Ready to up level your reality? Change the story worksheet